Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

Facebook, Google hold deleted images/content without permission

Delete this!
With Facebook turning 10 the other day, they gave me a big surprise - a movie that looks real appealing which I included on my personal page. After waking up 15 minutes ago from a sound sleep, it came to me that pictures I had deleted were used in the video. How could they still be accessible on Facebook and to the world if I deleted them?

Also, I have noticed that pictures I uploaded to this blog and then deleted are still accessible through Google. What the???

Just goes to prove that whatever you put out there is still on some server. I bet deleted Gmail attachments are still "out there" too, which makes me fearful that anything I have posted or said in the privacy of my own emails has been stored by someone and can be used for or against me at anytime.

In a 2009 article by  re: Facebook deleted photos (http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/07/are-those-photos-really-deleted-from-facebook-think-twice/) this subject was discussed.

Cheng noted that Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, the governing document for the site,  states that "when you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others)..."

Cheng concluded that, "This looks obviously false—said 'backup copies' are indeed accessible to anyone on the Web...if you don't want to give your enemies blackmail material, don't upload questionable photos in the first place. If you already have, just hope that no one has a direct link... or be prepared to blame all your transgressions on an evil twin."

Guess nothing I have said and images I have posted and deleted are not vaporized at all, and guess if I delete this blog, it will still linger in outer space. Maybe they are still on my timeline...Roll with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.