Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tribute to Ruth Morris


Photo by Doug Smith, Sr.
I want to pause and pay tribute to my mom, a phenomenal woman who lived with tragedy and sickness but overcame her circumstances to become the gleaming matriarch of my family.

Ruth Daniels Morris, my mother, was born on Easter Sunday, April 8th, and died 21 years ago today. (I can't believe she has been gone that long!)  Her nickname was Bunny, and her face was covered with freckles. She earned a BS degree in Commercial Education cum laude in 1950 from Bluefield State College in West Virginia. She was the seventh of eight children, and her parents were the late James Luther and Minnie Daniels.

After growing up during the Depression, all of her siblings, except for the oldest, graduated from college.
With friends - 1950
After college, my mom wanted to become a physical therapist and studied at Freedman's Hospital in Washington, D.C., but after fainting in the emergency room when she saw a bloody patient, she decided to change her profession.

She was hired by A&M College (University) without an interview on the recommendation of her college professor. She traveled to Normal, Al. on the train to become a secretary to the Dean of Students and met my father, Thomas V. Morris, a Botany professor.

Family portrait - 1953
My parents married in 1952. Ten months later, I was born. My folks were so poor that while she was pregnant, she had only two maternity outfits and wore my father's boxer shorts! She later became secretary to President Drake at A&M.

My mother ended her "career" on campus when I was four, and with my father and uncle started Albert's Flowers which is still in operation today. Even though her picture has been taken down from the "shop's" wall, I know that if not for her, one of Huntsville's most successful businesses would not have survived.

My mother was a "concerned" person who loved her AKA sorority sisters and her only daughter - me. She grieved after suffering two miscarriages and became a widow and single mom at 39 years old.  She fully financed my out of state education at Indiana University without the assistance of financial aid or help from the government. Her second marriage ended in divorce, but she and Lionel Crump, Sr. stayed friends until she died.

Ruth Morris seated (2nd from r) with AKA graduate chapter, Epsilon Gamma Omega Chapter in Normal, Ala. One AKA founder, Harriet Terry, is in center of photo.
During my mother's last years, she loved watching weather reports and could possibly have been a wonderful meteorologist.  She did not drive in the rain after her car hydroplaned once and she lost control on the highway. It's a wonder that she died on the same day 14 years before Hurricane Katrina made landfall.

Her passing took place in Huntsville Hospital. With her neck in a brace and her eyes wide open, a single tear streamed down here cheek as she departed this world and floated away. Smoke could be seen outside her hospital room window.
With grandchildren - Ayron, Ilea, and Daniel - in 1990. Photo by Kurk Johnson
I only wish I could be the woman she was.

Giving thanks to God for such a wonderful mother who was smart, frugal, beautiful, and courageous, may God rest her soul.

©2012 Tomi Johnson. All rights reserved .

14 comments:

  1. Helga wrote: Thanks for sharing, very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen wrote: Tomi,
    I'm so proud that you honored your mom in such a special way. I have so many fond memories, and it's great that her grandchildren can continue to learn more about her.
    As much as I can remember from conversations with Grandma, your parents married in 1950 or ''51. Take a look at the date of events cited. Hope this helps. Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Gwen. I get you now. I've changed the date. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. Looking in the family bible, my parents were married on 4-5-1952 in Elkins, West Va. I will go with this date. I remember quite well that my mother said I was born 10 months after their marriage...this seems to be right on time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful, Tomi. What an inspiration your mom is, an unsung heroine for sure. And my soror!!!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Tomi,
    You are a wonderful, smart, successful woman, wife, and mother in your very on precious God inspired, God decided way. You mother is looking down on you and your family with such great pride. Remember, the fruit dont fall far from the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faren said: You look exactlly like your mom and both are beautiful. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. George wrote: Good stuff Tomi...the pleasure was all mine knowing your mom...she was a sweet soul! She always made us feel soooo welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna wrote: Hey Tomi. This is such a wonderful tribute to your mother. Honoring thy father and thy mother, is such a meaningful act. I was very surprised to read that she and my father were both born on April 8th. Small world! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jimmi wrote: Dear Cousin,

    What a wonderful tribute to your mother and MY Aunt Bunny. I know better than most what a wonderful person she was. She and Aunt Betty were almost constant companions during my growing up years. I am proud to be her niece. (I'm almost 75 now, my, how time flies) I think of her very often and have told my children how special she was. I forwarded the tribute to all six of my children so they can know how much she was loved and part of their heritage. Donna forwarded the tribute to me. I'm sending it to Jonni, she doesn't have a computer.

    We really missed you and family at the reunion. I guess a good time was had by all (SMILES) I'm looking forward to the next one. Maybe you'll get to meet all my children, finally. How are Kurk & your grown-up children? We will have to keep in better touch, I talk to the 'East Coasters' occasionally. I had a nice conversation with Debi Sat. Let me hear from you soon.

    God Bless & thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Access said: What a wonderful tribute to Aunt Bunny! How so close my mom was to her. They aRe dearly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wanda said: I love your tribute to your mom! She was so sweet and kind. I wasn't clear on the date she passed away. (I do remember that we both lost our dads during the same month.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theodore said: Thank you. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tomi,
    This was very touching. I remember your Mom dropping you off at school when we attending St. Joseph Catholic School. She was always very nice. I was in your classes from grades 5th-8th. Clarence Newby(one grade ahead)and I were just talking about you Joan Moses, Condridge Holloway, David Perkins and the "old gang" from St. Joseph. Clarence and I are both retired Army Officers living in the Virginia/Wash DC area with our families. I always use Albert's Florist whenever I send flowers to friends and relatives in Huntville. Glad to see you and your family are doing well. May God continue to bless you and your family.

    Best Regards
    Earnest C. Smith
    Esmith151@cox.net
    703-409-0922

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.