Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Girls need fathers: a Father's Day tribute

Tomi Johnson and her father
Father's Day is coming up Sunday, June 17, and all women should take a look back at their relationships with their fathers. This is a tribute to my father, Thomas Vivian Morris, who died in 1969.

Girls need fathers. No matter what your relationship, it is God's plan that fathers should care for their little girls. That means giving them love, advice, encouragement, and confidence for the future.

Every girl needs an agape loving father who unconditionally loves her. Even if she has brothers, or uncles, husbands, or boyfriends, nothing can replace the person who you have known as your father, whether he is your biological father or not. I know. My father died three months after my 16th birthday, too soon for me to really get to know him, but I have great memories.

My dad was not a deadbeat, and he spent as much time with me as he could, even though he was a college professor and businessman. He was a serious fellow, loved jazz, and didn't talk much.

My fondest memories are times we rode in his car when you didn't have to wear seat belts. I would ride on the armrest, put my small arms around his neck, and watch the dotted lines in the road. We would often stop at a roadside vegetable market and plug a watermelon to gauge its sweetness.

T.V. Morris was a botanist.
I would help him run after pigs in the peach orchard. I would eat raw corn that he picked from his cornfield. I would watch him look at the tag hanging from the Easter dress mom bought me at the department store and listen to him fumble with the change in his pocket.

I remember my father in twos. I remember him spanking me twice: once for loosing my new shoe in a drainage ditch and the other for mouthing off for wanting to go to church on a rainy Sunday.

I remember him failing off a ladder while painting the out building and failing off his riding lawnmower the same afternoon. I remember him crying two times: once at my great grandfather's funeral and again in a Vanderbilt hospital when he said he was afraid he would never see me again. I remember drawing fluid from his skin boils caused by radiation poison.  I remember feeding him his last spoonful of jello.

Our family on my 6th birthday
I guess what I love most about my father are the beautiful memories that have been stamped on my heart. They can be retrieved whenever I want to even though I can't bring him back.

FACTS ABOUT FATHERS from the U.S. Census Bureau: 
Estimated number of fathers across the nation. - 70.1 million
Number of single fathers in 2011 - 1.7 million
Number of stay at home dads - 176,000

©2012 Tomi Johnson. All rights reserved.








13 comments:

  1. Beautiful story Tomi.Lesson for all.May God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arrifah Khan says: Hi Tomi. I read your article - it's so touching. A good lesson for all fathers. May God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra says: Great pictures and memories of Uncle Morris. He was a wonderful person that worked so hard. He will always be remembered and so will your mom. Wish Kurk a Happy Father’s Day. Hope everyone is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomi,
    how beautiful. Such wonderful memories. It makes me cry for the father I never had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomi,
    Your story brings tears to my eyes. It's such a beautiful tribute. Through your memories, I see what I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Willie Mae Crump says: That's a beautiful tribute to your Dad, Tomi. Thanks for writing the article. I learned a lot about him from it.
    Be blessed.
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas Carter says: This is a great tribute, I wish I could have met him, you look like your mother in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Billings says: Wonderful story Tomi. It makes me wonder how much better my life would have been had I had a positive relationship with my dad. I’m so happy you have fond memories. I wish I could say the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      Hold on to anything positive about your father...and if you can't, know that you have a forgiving Father in Heaven who loves you despite all obstacles!
      Tomi

      Delete
  9. A very touching story Tomi...I think girls need a dad in their lives as much as boys to provide that role model for the man that some day will enter their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice touch Aunt Tomi! Happy Father's Day to all!
    Donté J.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martin Griffith said: Tomi, I really enjoyed reading your tribute to your father. It was a beautiful expression of love. What a fascinating man he was. A professor devoted to botany. And a family man.

    My wife lost her father when she was only 14. He was a truck driver who was killed when another trucker crossed the median and slammed into him in Ohio.

    I just feel really blessed that my father is still with us at the age of 88. It's sad to see him using a walker to get around and an oxygen tank when he took such great care of himself for years. He was very demanding and we didn't always get along. But I've come to see that he wanted the best for me.

    Anyway, just want you to know that you touched a nerve and your love of your father really came across. As a fellow lover of nature and botany, I look at him as a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.