Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Police question folks standing on street corner

A police officer questions Drew Kordele on a Marietta, Ga. street corner.
Drew Kordele, a graduate of McEachern High School in Cobb County, Ga., has been seen on almost a daily basis, standing on the sidewalks on Sandy Plains Road in Marietta, appearing to be talking or singing to himself. He looks harmless, but no one really knows if he's dangerous. He seems sober and in his right mind although it seems unusual that he would pass the time in this fashion everyday and into the night.

Tonight, I saw him standing on the median outside Walgreens across from Sprayberry High School and decided to ask him why he likes standing on the street. As I made my way to him, taking pictures, a police cruiser approached in the intersection with blue lights blazing, and the officer called him by his first name.

"Drew, I had a call that you were here, and I want to make sure you are not in danger," the officer said.

I wasn't sure if the officer would have arrested Drew or not had I not been taking pictures.  The officer asked who I was and who I worked for, and then left.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked Drew.

"Just chilling. Just getting a breath of fresh air."

"I've seen you on this street before. You better be careful. You don't want to get arrested," I said.

"Yes, and you be safe, too," was his reply. It's a hot summer night in Georgia.

©2012 Tomi Johnson. All rights reserved


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Tomi...seems like he is in a world all his own...and the police knew him.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.