Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Prediabetics must watch weight, diet and exercise

Me hiding behind sunglasses
After hearing my friend talk about her chemo treatments and accompanying depression, and then talking to a woman at church about her multiple sclerosis diagnosis, I decided it was time from me to head to the doctor and see if some life changes were recommended for me.

I'm writing this in hopes that it will help someone else!

Meeting with a nutritionist after having blood work done, I found out I'm prediabetic and need to lose at least 15 lbs.

"People with elevated fasting blood sugars have an increased risk of developing diabetes," according to a Kaiser Permanente nutrition handout. "Fasting blood sugars greater than 99 mg/dl but less than 126 mg/dl are higher than normal."  Mine is 100mg/dl, and I've caught it just in time. I may not be able to make it onto a "big loser" television show, but at least I can feel better and live with fewer health issues.

What do I do now? Food choices are key. I don't think I'll be going to anymore "all you can eat" joints for a while unless I just eat fruits and veggies!
Healthy eating is the key to not becoming a diabetic as well as regular exercise.
Seriously, I will be dishing up healthy meals, exercising for 30 minutes 5 times a week, and expecting to lose at least 1 pound a week. Just before Thanksgiving, I should be back to normal! I never understood the food pyramid, but this information should help.

Above is my before picture taken at the Atlanta Zoo on Father's Day. I don't want to look like the elephant in the exhibit, and I don't want to develop diabetes. Check back later to see if I've reached my goal.

©2012 Tomi Johnson. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Sharon wrote: Good for you!!! With so many foot problems, I am finally back to exercising. Have your eyes checked, too...we have family members with Glycoma - including me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will wrote: Glad you caught it in time. Diabetes is no fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.