Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

Black teachers get raw deal in Huffington Post's article

Johnson as Tubman in 2004 school play

"Ain't I a woman; ain't I a good teacher?"

A study of 8th graders in 198 Title I Texas schools conducted by a Black, University of Houston doctoral student was reported in the Huffington Post last week. The article was entitled, "Black Teachers Not the Best Choice For Black Students, Study Finds" but was changed to "Black Teachers May Not Be Best For Black Students, Study Finds" after complaints were made.

(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/black-teachers-may-not-be_n_1587896.html)

The article tends to give the impression that Black students do not necessarily fare better when taught by African American teachers. NO RESPECT! This article about the research is a stab at the qualifications, preparedness and teaching styles of Black teachers as well as their ability to "teach to the test" in order to help Black students achieve. Once you start insinuating that black teachers are inadequate for one group of kids, that puts into question their ability to teach any child. And we should all know where that open door could lead.

My own story
My first teachers were Black - my mom and dad. My maternal grandmother taught me how to sew. My nursery school teachers were all Black at Alabama A&M Normal College. My kindergarten teacher was Black. They all gave me an excellent educational foundation. My favorite teacher in college is Black. I am Black.

These teachers gave me a love for learning and such a respect for the profession. After noticing that my own  children's schools had no Black teachers, I decided to become a substitute teacher to change the complexion of their classrooms.  I thought teaching in middle and high schools would be a piece of cake since I was a former educational television producer, college English instructor, and Upward Bound teacher.

While a supply and substitute teacher in 15 schools in Cobb County, Ga., it seemed to me that I was not given much "respect" when it came to being taken seriously by the students or the administration. At first I thought some students were just trying to "get over" on "THE SUBSTITUTE," but then it appeared that I was only treated that way by a minority of students. Was I being too sensitive?

I worked hard for Cobb County Schools while my own three children were growing up, and I feel I went beyond the call of duty, even played Harriet Tubman in a play I wrote for Black History Month at McCleskey Middle School! I wasn't paid extra for the role I played, but volunteered because I thought I was doing something good for the betterment of the whole student body, not just Black students. But I had a special concern for Black students because I am ole school and am Black myself!

Teaching has its challenges. On one occasion, a high school football player, who I found out later was the son of a Black middle school principal, got a pass to the bathroom and never came back to class. Another Black special needs student said she had an appointment with the guidance counselor, and when I asked for her pass, she started acting a fool, and I had to call security. Another student who did poorly on an exam threatened me in the hallway and came back to the classroom afterwards. Thank God for those warning buzzers!

I wondered whether those students acted that way because they felt I wasn't qualified, or I didn't know the rules, or they saw me as a pushover. I wondered whether they just were not used to dealing with Black teachers in a predominately white school system, or whether they just didn't like me (respect me) because I was Black.

Whether they liked me or not, high academic standards are not measured by popularity or race, and research on issues revolving around achievement gaps should be approached with caution and thoroughly documented.

Asst. Principal Walter Hunt
Hunt's research
“As an administrator of a campus that fits the criteria of a Title I school, I wanted to look at minority student achievement in a low socio-economic environments, which can have a profound impact on campuses that are receiving federal funds.  So my focus was on the teachers,”  said Walter Hunt, a Houston-area assistant principal who performed the original research while a doctoral student at University of Houston’s Executive Education in Professional Leadership.

Hunt studied 2010 eighth-grade math and reading scores from the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) tests and compared scores of 8th grade African-American and Caucasian students with campuses of large and small percentages of African-American teachers.

“There has often been a preconceived notion that the staff make-up should resemble the student body population, and this has often directed recruitment and hiring efforts among building principals. At first glance, it would appear that teacher race doesn’t matter when addressing student achievement of minority students, but there are many layers involved when analyzing achievement of a middle-school student, such as racial identity, self-identity, age, involvement in school activities,” he said.

“In this particular study, I was surprised to see that the campuses with more African-American teachers did not have the highest African-American student achievement.  This just goes to show that having a positive impact on students is a complex, multi-layered process.”

Hunt himself deemed his research incomplete as evident by the university's press release. (http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/672012CofEDAfAm.php) His study suggests next steps that include a broader examination of other middle school grades, as well as high school, that looks at the relationship between academic achievement of Hispanic students and the percentage of Hispanic teachers.  He also suggests a broadening of the study to include social studies and science TAKS scores.

“I think the program has helped to prepare me for the challenges that I will encounter as an educator in public education in the 21st-century,” Hunt said.  “The program’s design not only exposed me to research-tested theory, but focused on real-world application that is unmatched by other programs.”  

When asked about his opinion on the Huffington Post's analysis of the research, Dr. William Darity of Duke University wanted to know, "Did they control for the racial composition of the student body and the extent of racialized tracking in the schools?"

How do you feel about this issue? Please leave a comment.

©2012 Tomi Johnson. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. George Calhoun says: Hey Tomi...just speaking from a grass roots position, my son and his wife barely qualify as middle class because of the jobs situation in this country, but their six year old son is excelling in traditional school and everything he sets his mind to. He's a super athlete, sings and dances, can lead a prayer with the best preacher, already starting to speak and count in Korean...I think he could be the next Obama! And it's all because his parents, and family, treat his mind as an open vessel...what we sow, we reap, no matter who the teacher may be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's great. Remember, though, that the real aim of education should be to help us think and do for ourselves and be able to solve our own problems, maybe even start our own schools (business institutions). "African consciousness must be measured in terms of the degree to which it maintains our survival and advances our interests, and puts us at the center of our concerns and purposes." the Late Dr. Amos Wilson.

      At this young age, your grandson needs all the positive encouragement he can get. Now is the time for him to learn good playing skills. I will be more impressed when our young students are being taught how to start businesses, buy property cheap, raise a garden, make a solar panel, install telephone networks, invent the next life-saving device, and learn the language of money. Learning to be an entertainer is not the answer...but he has time...and yes, we as parents (grandparents) must make it so! It would also be nice if he sees teachers who look like him - great lesson on achievement. Also, the problem with saying that it doesn't matter whether a teacher is Black or White teaching our kids is far reaching...it opens the door to us saying that we don't need Black teachers in our own communities, which leads to unemployment of Black teachers.

      The unintended consequences that go with us thinking Black kids don't need Black teachers are mind blowing. After the famous 1954 desegregation case, Black administrators and teachers were let go in masse and were not rehired by "White" schools. This was devastating to our communities because most Black professionals were educators. Just think what will happen if we document that Black kids don't need Black teachers...the next thing they will try to say is that businesses don't need a diverse workforce which will probably take Black unemployment from triple White unemployment to whatever the next level is...

      Keep the comments coming so we can continue the dialogue.

      Delete
  2. Deborah Calhoun says: Overall, I think black teachers can play an important role in the education of black children. Just like in any black on black relationship, there’s a sense of being kindred, a sense of “knowing from whence we came”, so to speak – it can make for a more trusting teacher/student relationship . That being said, however, I think it’s more important that a person (young or old) have the desire to learn. If they have the desire to get an education and make a good life for themselves, they will learn and succeed no matter the color of the teacher. For young kids to have that desire and be inspired, they need good parental guidance, a sound home structure and a strong sense of self-worth.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.