Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

De facto segregation vs institutional segregation: are either ok?

Love and compassion should not be based on race. (Picture of Mother Theresa and sick child.)
I was talking to my son Sunday, describing to him my need to attend an integrated church - neither all white nor all black - and how this quandary into not being able to find one close to my home has hampered my religious identity and relationship with God.

segregated - set apart
That brings to mind the real definition of integration. Is an "integrated" church one where only one person from another race is on the rolls?

For several years, I have been attending a Greek Orthodox church within one mile of my house with my husband who has converted to Orthodox Christianity. We were introduced to the church when we attended the Annual Greek Festival when we were warmly welcomed, enjoyed the food and the dancing.

integrated - combining or coordinating separate elements so as to provide a harmonious, interrelated whole
When we attended our first service, we were enthralled by the golden iconography, the music, and the incense. Everyone was nice, and there were several Ethiopians worshiping there.

But over the years, the Ethiopians left, and one other black man joined the choir, but I haven't seen him lately. I haven't "joined" the church because I just don't feel right there. All the icons of holy people, saints, and angels are white, and it appears  "man" has made God into his image of himself, and I have a problem with that.  

To further exacerbate the problem, while a volunteer at the festival, I was cursed at for no apparent reason near the church steps by a member! Later, she said she was on prescription drugs and couldn't remember our conversation.

Another Greek American that I'm friends with says Black people are stupid for supporting the Democratic Party. One of her Facebook friends called a former Obama aide, Valerie Jarrett, a "racist wench" even though I doubt he has ever met her... do they think they will win friends/converts/voters this way?

Then there was the priest's sermon on the poor not getting into heaven and protesters being "jealous" followed by comments to me that I "racialize" everything. I have a strong feeling of white superiority ruling this church which is trying to establish a school which will probably be "segregated."

But I left my "all black" church because I didn't want to go to a segregated church.

What should I do??? I will ask God and the ancestors for guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.