Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

15th Amendment Ratification

The 15th amendment, guaranteeing the right to vote for all Americans regardless of race or color, was ratified on this day in 1928.

My most memorable experience surrounding voting was as a poll watcher in the 1970's. I was working for a school board campaign and noticed that the poll representatives were allowing voters to sign in using a pen with the competitor's name written on it. This was disputed by me, and the pen was thrown out. By the way, the candidate I supported won!

What experiences tied to voting have you had that were memorable? Please comment.

1 comment:

  1. my most memorable experience in voting was going to the poll which was relegated to a very small room at our local recreational center. I complained about the size of the room and it's inability to accommodate not only the poll workers but the huge line of voters waiting to cast their ballots. the voting was relocated to a far larger room as a result of my formal complaint to my city councilman. we still have very large turnouts at this poll place for voting but the voting location is far more conducive to the successful execution of this privledge all because I took a positive step to bring about a needed change in the polling location within the recreation center.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.