Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

South Africa more important than Mandela's abode

SA Kruger Park playing cards
While the world waits and prays for former South African President Nelson "Madiba" Mandela, one must contemplate what significant factor surpasses the country's status as the home of a famous freedom fighter. The word is TRADE.

South Africans have always interested me, and whenever I meet someone who has a somewhat British accent, I ask them where they are from, and when they say South Africa, I immediately think of apartheid and Mandela.

One of the members at church is a white South African, and when I asked him about Mandela, he told me he is wonderful man, a compassionate legend who did not retaliate against the white population after coming to power, much to their surprise.

This nostalgic view needs to be coupled with the knowledge that South Africa has vast riches to behold and trade to develop. Doing research on the most famous diamonds in the world, I found that South Africa has the second richest supply of diamonds, with India being the first. 
 
White House photo of Michelle Obama with Nelson Mandela in 2011.
On June 29, US President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and daughters Malia and Sasha will visit South Africa, spending three days in Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Cape Town. Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies said his country is hoping to strengthen trading possibilities. The White House said that the visit would, "underscore the President's commitment to broadening and deepening cooperation between the United States and the people of sub-Saharan Africa to advance regional and global peace and prosperity."

Maybe I should plan my next trip to South Africa and experience it for myself.

For more information about South Africa, go to https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html.

2 comments:

  1. Tomi, I'm not ultra-hip on global commerce, but I think a critical element is gaining access to develop and support the infra-structures needed to advance global trade, not only with South Africa, but with areas like Sri Lanka (south central asia). I guess I'm trying to say develop trade in a non-exploitive manner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, while we're known for being incarcerated, other powers are amassing palaces, mansions, castles, ships, race horses, exotic resorts, wineries, news organizations, TV networks, mints, subterranean gold vaults, charities, politicians... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTA9ab4O42M...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.