Search This Blog

Sunday, March 17, 2019

My Hero, Rev. Dr. Henry Bradford, Sr. dies

1957 photo from The Heritage, A&M's yearbook
Listen to obituary: https://obits.al.com/obituaries/huntsville/obituary.aspx?n=henry-bradford&pid=191869198&fhid=23832

The Rev. Dr. Henry Bradford, Jr., my former piano/voice teacher and mentor, has died. If anyone is listening to a heavenly choir and orchestra, he is!
Notes made by Rev. Bradford in my John Thompson Piano Course book
Rev. Bradford taught me how to play "Oh Danny Boy" on the piano and also accompanied me when I performed solos at beauty pageants. He was very patient with me, even though my fingers were small and I didn't like to practice.

The Bradfords were married over 70 years.

"Fingering" I needed to work on noted in red by Rev. Bradford

Bradford is survived by his wife, Nell, and they were married for over 70 years. They have two living children - Andrea and Hank, III. It has been reported that Bradford, 97, died days after being involved in a car accident in which his wife was also injured.

Family hour will be Friday night, and the funeral will be held  Saturday at 12 noon in Huntsville, Ala.

Rev. Bradford wrote the music for A&M's school song.


For more information on Rev. Bradford's life, go to:  http://www.aamu.edu/news/2011/Pages/AAMU-Mourns-Death-of-Icon.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0zO_0bRO3hbfNto9FvX_jeP3oRvQaSre_XPLCypsPkmprXFQNfKLs-pr0

Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow,
It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow,
Oh, Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so!
But when ye come, and all the flowers are dying,
If I am dead, as dead I well may be,
You'll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an Ave there for me.
And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be,
For you will bend and tell me that you love me,
And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me!
Funeral: https://www.facebook.com/ucmbc.pastor.davis/videos/dr-henry-bradford-jr-funeral-23-march-2019/1367723656703680/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.