Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Georgia voting: lessons learned to change antiquated system so every vote will count

When I was five years old living in Alabama, George C. Wallace lost his first bid for governor of Alabama. He claimed, "I was out-niggered by John Patterson. And I'll tell you here and now, I will never be out-niggered again." Wallace won next time he ran and served four terms as governor, and when he couldn't run anymore, his wife was governor until she died of breast cancer.

Even Wallace changed, however. After he was paralyzed while running for President by an attempted assassin's bullet, he had a change of heart. "I have learned what suffering means. In a way that was impossible, I think I can understand something of the pain black people have come to endure. I know I contributed to that pain, and I can only ask your forgiveness... I was wrong. Those days are over, and they ought to be over."

Georgia  borders Alabama, and politics in these two Southern states are ruled by Republicans. Georgia just had an historic gubernatorial race - a black woman Democrat almost became the chief executive of the state. Stacey Abrams probably felt, "I will never let the voting apparatus as now set up in Georgia be allowed to keep a well deserving candidate out of the winner's circle again."

Let's face it: winning in politics is all about the numbers which is dependent not only on how votes are counted, but on branding, data, and money.

As far as branding, Abrams was branded a radical extremist by her opponents. She was super-sized, super-coiffed, super-educated, non-male dependent, and she gave Republican Brian Kemp a run for his money. He won in 2018, but how can he be unseated in 2022?

Data - since technology allows you to perform almost any calculation, why do folks have to go to certain polling places to vote? Why can't they just go to any poll, show an i.d., and the computer pull up their file and let then cast their ballot in the proper precinct in the proper race? Wouldn't that be nice? Instead of using the "Mary and Joseph traveling to Bethlehem" system of counting, it would be more convenient and less antiquated to change the system.

If we can plan to go to Mars, surely if we want every vote counted, this change could be implemented for 2020.

It will take money. How can we finance this change? Who will manage the contract?

I'm just saying... if we want every vote to count, we should make it so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email your comments to tomimot@gmail.com.